Long term hacker (in the original sense), former hanger-on at the MIT AI Lab. Writer of editors. Compiler of languages. Now professionally a problem solver -- for the last 18 years with a fab-less semiconductor company making systems-on-chip with lots of tasty imaging interfaces, image processing hardware, industry standard real-world connections, all covered by high-protein firmware.
On the side, I've a continued interest in mechatronic systems, machining, welding, CAM, and kids. My wife says it is all a busman's holiday.
I used to mentor a FIRST robotics team (#2349). It was great fun to coach highschool students on engineering problems, project planning, prototyping, and especially teamwork. I sing Barbershop with some truly congenial and talented men as a member of Vocal Revolution. I enjoy an occasional Amateur Radio on-air conversation or contest as K1UZK.
I also do custom woodworking, carvings, and 3D printed spiritualia as Carvings by Carl, which can be found on Etsy.
You can reach me about whatever you like at "first name" dot carvingsbycarl dot com.
Oh! I forgot to introduce myself formally. Hi, I'm Carl.
Member for 3 years, 8 months
1 profile view
Last seen Apr 2 '19 at 22:58
- 3D Printing 4k 4k 66 silver badges3232 bronze badges
- Worldbuilding 2.3k 2.3k 77 silver badges1313 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 1.3k 1.3k 11 gold badge77 silver badges66 bronze badges
- Writing 849 849 44 silver badges1313 bronze badges
- Retrocomputing 661 661 44 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 124 We're testing advertisements across the network
- 41 What kind of world would drive brains to evolve high-throughput sensory?
- 29 Why would a nuclear powered spaceship needs to wait a few days before restarting the reactor engine?
- 19 Why were chips socketed in early computers?
- 16 How can a person Insulate copper wire in a medieval world?
- 15 Is it unreasonable to change the rules of a quiz/exam one week in advance?
- 13 What should be the ideal length of sentences in a blog post for ease of reading?
- View more network posts →