Ham radio, like many other fields, has boatloads of jargon, and it often crops up in all sorts of conversation. It's already shown up in plenty of questions asked so far, both in titles and question bodies, e.g.:
- What are the differences in a QSO over A3F as compared to J3E?
- What gain do I need to talk to SO-50 with my HT?
Usage of jargon can save time and words for relatively well-known concepts among those in a community, but it also makes it harder for those new to the community (or those who only participate casually) to follow the discussion.
There are a few of things to consider about jargon relative to Ham.SE...
- Should we encourage/discourage jargon in the first place?
- More or less so in questions vs. answers? Equally?
- Should we encourage, discourage, or be neutral about editing questions and answers to add or remove jargon?
- Should we encourage, discourage, or be neutral about tags based on jargon?
- If we're okay with jargon, should we encourage, discourage, or be neutral about linking jargon to definitions?
- And edits of questions/answers to do such?