Outside of specific antenna types or components, we have these tags for antenna questions: antenna and antenna-construction. I think that the tag antenna-construction is not actually very useful in its current state. Its usage guidance is “Questions about materials or methods for building antennas”, but its questions are often as not about theory, simulation, or “which antenna should I use”, and when I'm tagging a question it's not clear to me whether it should apply.
I'd like to have more focused (and just more) tags to use on antenna questions. What do you think of this proposal?
- antenna-theory — The design of antennas for specific bands, bandwidth, gain, impedance, etc. Includes questions specifically about simulation. Includes “what type of antenna gives this radiation pattern and gain and can be mounted like so” questions.
- antenna-fabrication (or possibly keep antenna-construction) — The mechanical design of antennas: “how do I make a sturdy and weatherproof feedpoint for my dipole” and so on. Also includes how-to-apply-the-theory questions like trimming for SWR. (The revised name is to make it even more obvious that this is about physical materials and so on.)
- antenna-system — The antenna, balun, feed line, tuner, ground, et cetera, considered as a whole. Questions where everything is relevant, like grounding or “what type of antenna can I put up given these constraints”.
Questions for you:
- Do you think reclassifying antenna questions is actually useful? Should we take the simpler approach of just killing antenna-construction?
- Are my proposed new tags good? Would you suggest any refinements?
- If I implement this plan, should I keep the name antenna-construction or replace its with antenna-fabrication?